Does My Corporation Need a New EIN?

Back to FAQs

By definition, a corporation is an entity considered to be separate from the individuals that make up its membership. In other words, the whole of a corporation is more than the sum of its parts. Therefore, If you are starting up a new corporation, then yes, you will need to apply for EIN in order to be able to report your income to the IRS.

On the other hand, if you already have an existing corporation and you are wondering if you need a different business EIN number than the one you have now, the answer is a lot less straightforward. Undergoing certain changes will require you to fill out a new tax ID application in order to obtain a new EIN for your corporation, but not all corporate changes will require a new EIN.

Changes That Do Not Require a New EIN

The following changes to your corporation will not require you to obtain a new EIN:

• Changing location or corporate name
• Declaring bankruptcy
• Choosing to be taxed as an S-corporation
• Converting at the state level if the business structure remains unchanged. For example, LLC is not an IRS classification, so changing to an LLC will not require you to fill out a new EIN number application.

You are also not required to obtain a new EIN if you are a division of a corporation, and if you are the surviving corporation after a merger, you can use the existing EIN.

Changes That Require a New EIN

Any time your IRS classification changes, i.e., if your corporation becomes a partnership or sole proprietorship, you must obtain a new EIN. You will also require a new EIN in the following circumstances:

  • If a statutory merger results in a new corporation
  • If the secretary of state issues you a new charter
  • If you become a subsidiary of a corporation

How To Obtain EIN

There are many ways to obtain a new EIN, including online application. can help you deal with the IRS in an expedited fashion in order to save your valuable time.

Select Your Entity Type to Apply for a Federal Tax ID Today