Is It Harder To Get An EIN On The West Coast Versus The East Coast?

Back to FAQs

As more people move from state to state and greater numbers of people work for themselves, the volume of people and businesses requiring an employer identification number (EIN) is greater than ever. If you are wondering what the difference is between getting a West Coast EIN versus an East Coast EIN, the process is exactly the same. Read on to find out how to get yours.

 The Process, No Matter Where You Are

While getting your EIN can be time-consuming or even frustrating on, doing so on is quick and simple. In fact, you can get your EIN by following three steps. First, choose the filing status for your business. Then, fill out the application. Finally, submit it. You will receive your EIN by email that day, usually within the hour. If you submit your application after 9 p.m., you will receive your EIN the next business day.

Who Needs an EIN?

There are a number of reasons you would be required to get an EIN. For instance, you must get one if you open a business, as well as if you recently hired employees or intend to, and this includes employees for your household. You also need an EIN if your bank account requires an EIN, or if you want to open an account for the business or get a credit line. In addition, you have to get an EIN if you change the ownership structure of your business or form a partnership, LLC, corporation, trust or pension plan.

So whether you are seeking a California EIN number, New York EIN number, or one from anywhere in between, the process doesn’t change. However, that does not mean that once you have an EIN in California you don’t need one in New York or any other state to which you move. While the process is the same, each state has its own application process, requirements and guidelines.

Select Your Entity Type to Apply for a Federal Tax ID Today