How Do I Make A Change To My EIN After It Was Assigned?

Back to FAQs

Applying for an employer identification number—also called an EIN or tax ID number—is an essential part of establishing your business and ensuring you are compliant with the IRS. There are often complications, however, that make getting an EIN less simple than it should be. One such complication is the need to update EIN information after your ID has already been assigned. If you are wondering how to change EIN number, you may do so if your business’ structure or ownership changes—or if your company files for bankruptcy. The process does not have to be complex and stressful.

Change Your EIN Without Dealing With the IRS

If you think about dealing with the IRS and find yourself feeling dread, you certainly are not alone. Although you can change EIN information online, going directly through the IRS can be a hassle to say the least. This option typically entails logging onto the IRS’ EIN Assistant and submitting a request for a new EIN along with an explanation of why it is necessary. You can then expect follow up from the IRS before the decision is made whether you will be granted a new ID or not. Going through IRS EIN Tax ID Filing Service, conversely, makes the process of changing your tax ID simple and straightforward.

Our expert team handles all communication with the IRS so that you never have to worry about it. If you need to change your EIN because of a major change in your business, you certainly have enough on your hands without the stress of communicating with the IRS and babysitting your application. Luckily, IRS EIN Tax ID Filing Service eliminates the need for that and puts your EIN in the hands of professionals. Whether you need a trust tax ID number or church tax ID number, we can help. Get in touch with our EIN specialists to see how we can take care of your tax ID.

An employer identification number, also known as an EIN or federal tax identification number, is a unique set of nine numbers that provide the IRS with a method of identifying your business as an operating entity within the United States of America. Company owners can use EINs to conduct activities that would otherwise need social security numbers.

When to Make Changes

You will need to change your EIN after the structure of your business or the ownership has changed. As a sole proprietor, you will need to obtain a new EIN if you are subject to bankruptcy, operate your company as a partnership, buy or receive an existing business that operates as a sole proprietorship, or are incorporated.

For corporations, you will need to change your EIN if you get a new charter from the secretary of the state, change to a sole proprietorship or partnership, are a subsidiary of the company utilizing the parent business’ employer identification number, or are a new corporation created after a statutory merger.

Businesses use the EIN to take care of record-keeping and reporting taxes, but they also use it for other financial record-keeping. In the simplest terms, these registration numbers serve the purpose that Social Security numbers would serve for individuals. That makes them vital parts of any company’s infrastructure. EIN requirements normally do not allow for new numbers to be issued to companies after they have received one, but there are exceptions.

When You Need to Make EIN Changes

Changing your tax ID number is highly discouraged, and in fact, in a lot of cases it would be disallowed. There are a limited number of circumstances under which you will need to apply to make changes to your EIN:

  • If you receive a new corporate charter because your old one dissolved for any reason
  • When and LLC is changing structure to become a sole proprietorship or partnership
  • When a partnership is changing structure, either to incorporate or to add and remove partners

You might also need to make a name change on your EIN, and you would then need to apply for a new tax ID number. Luckily, there is no age limit for EIN registrations, so you won’t have to get a new one just because the old one expires.

How to Apply for EIN Changes

Most of the time, changing your EIN records will involve changing your EIN entirely. Tax ID number restrictions prevent the IRS from issuing new numbers to the same entity that already holds one, but they also require the situations above be treated as if a new company had applied for a number for the first time.

Luckily, that means you can use the IRS EIN Tax ID Filing Service system to easily apply for the new number just like you did the old number. We can also help you with a trust tax ID number or with an S Corp tax ID number

Change My EIN Easily

With IRS EIN Tax ID Filing Service, you can easily apply for an EIN or register for an EIN on our EIN online application form. We are experts in our field and make it secure and convenient for you to obtain an employer identification number at the drop of a hat. Log on to our site today to get your new EIN now!

Select Your Entity Type to Apply for a Federal Tax ID Today