If I Move States, Do I Need a New EIN?

Back to FAQs

Completing an EIN number application is an essential step for sole proprietorships, corporations, partnerships and limited liability companies as well as nonprofit groups, church-controlled organizations and private citizens involved with managing trusts or the estates of deceased individuals. Issued by the Internal Revenue Service, the Employer Identification Number is an essential component of the IRS’s tax administration activities for these types of entities. Learning more about the EIN can help you manage your organization’s or entity’s affairs wisely.

EINs and Tax IDs Are Federally Issued

Since the Internal Revenue Service is a United States federal government agency, any EIN or tax ID it grants is a federally-assigned identification number. However, you will need a new EIN if the fundamental structure of the company changes — for example, if a partner takes over and transforms it into a sole proprietorship. Additionally, certain circumstances may require businesses to complete a new EIN or tax ID application:

• Bankruptcy proceedings
• Incorporation
• The addition of new partners and operation as a partnership
• The purchase or inheritance of an existing sole proprietorship

Name changes generally do not require a new EIN application unless the company’s ownership or structure also changes. Similarly, the mere act of moving your organization to a new state doesn’t necessitate a new EIN application unless its ownership or structure also changes at the same time. Keep in mind that you’ll need to obtain a different business EIN number for each new legal entity you establish.

What’s the Process to Get an EIN?

Ready to get started? Simply fill out our online form by following our instructions and pay a one-time service fee, and you’re done. When you complete your application before 3 p.m. Pacific Time Monday through Friday, you should receive your new EIN or tax ID via email on the same business day. Avoid lengthy paperwork and frustration and apply for an EIN with IRS EIN Tax ID Filing Service today.

Select Your Entity Type to Apply for a Federal Tax ID Today