Do I Need A New EIN If I Move As A Corporation To A Different State?

Back to FAQs

Starting your own business is not an easy task for anyone, in terms of creating a concept, finding a place to do business and staffing the venture. It is an even bigger commitment to declare your business a corporation for tax and other purposes, as the responsibilities can increase substantially. Luckily, in terms of filing, things are straightforward, particularly if you rely on

So do I Need a new EIN if I Move my Business?

You’ll be happy to know the answer is no. As long as you have registered your business properly and applied for and received an employer identification number (EIN) for your corporation at a valid address, you do not have to redo the process when you move to a new state. Naturally, you should update your address and contact information by logging on to

How do we Apply for a Corporation EIN Again?

Just to refresh your memory, the process to apply for a tax ID in the first place is as easy as one, two, three—literally. Well, it is as long as your business is located in one of the 50 U.S. states or any of its territories. Simply visit and choose your tax filing status. Then, fill out the IRS SS-4 online. Finally, submit the application. You will receive your new EIN on the same day, and usually within an hour of submitting it. If you sent your application after 9 p.m., you will receive it the next business day.

Fortunately, knows it’s daunting enough to start a business, run a corporation, and comply with all the rules and regulations. That’s why the EIN filing process ought to be an absolute breeze for you and your company.

There are, however, instances when you must file for a new EIN. These are almost always necessitated by a change in structure to the entity for which you already have a tax ID.

Sole Proprietorship

You must file for a new EIN if you incorporate, take in partners, buy or inherit an existing business you are operating as a sole proprietorship or are subject to a bankruptcy proceeding.


You are required to get a new EIN if you change your tax status, receive a new charter, are a subsidiary of a corporation and are using the parent company’s EIN, become a subsidiary, or are part of a merger that creates a new corporation.


Getting a new EIN is required here when you end an existing partnership and create a new one, incorporate, or have your partnership taken over by one of your partners, who then runs it as a sole proprietorship.


You must file for a new EIN when a new LLC with one owner is formed under state law and that person opts to be taxed as a corporation of any sort. It is also necessary when a new LLC with more than a single owner is created under state law, as well as when a new LLC with one owner is formed under state law and is required to file excise taxes for tax periods on or after Jan. 1, 2008, or file employment tax for wages paid on or after Jan. 1, 2009.


An estate must get a new EIN if a trust is created with funds from that estate or if you are operating an estate that becomes a business after the death of its owner.


You’ll have to get a new EIN if it changes to an estate, you are the grantor or maker of numerous trusts, a living trust ends as a result of sending its property to a residual trust, or a living trust becomes a testamentary trust.

Select Your Entity Type to Apply for a Federal Tax ID Today