Do I Need a Tax ID Number and an EIN? What is the Difference?

Back to FAQs

When you apply for EIN numbers, you may be wondering if you are covering all of your bases concerning acquiring a Tax ID Number. The good news is, Tax ID Numbers and an EIN are the same thing when it comes to federal taxes. The two titles are just different ways of referring to the number a business is assigned by the government for tax purposes. In fact, there are several labels given to this same identifying number.

• Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN)
• Employer Identification Number (EIN)
• Tax ID Number
• Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN)
• Federal Tax ID Number

If you are setting out to obtain a Tax ID Number, filling out an EIN number application is indeed the appropriate course of action to take to begin the process, since they are one and the same.

What About State Taxes?

In the case of local taxes, you may need to apply for a separate number from your state government. The federal government will supply a different business EIN number that will not be applicable to state regulations and taxation. Be sure to check into whether or not this is required for the specific state in which your business is operated.

If you’re not sure how to determine if you’ll need to fill out a Tax ID application for your state or which government entities to submit your documents to, we can assist you. We know it can be overwhelming to tackle the paperwork logistics on your own, and our staff is prepared to answer any questions you might have concerning your EIN request submission.

Where Do I Begin?

Our staff doesn’t just know how to obtain EIN numbers, we file the paperwork required for your business to get one. Simply fill out our online application, and we’ll do the rest! You will have your unique Tax ID Number returned to you on the same day, guaranteed and hassle free.

Select Your Entity Type to Apply for a Federal Tax ID Today