What Is An SS-4?

Back to FAQs

Many people who are just starting out forming their businesses, trusts, non-profits, or other organizations learn that they must fill out form SS-4. They often ask us, “What is an SS-4?” Form SS-4 is used to apply for an employee identification number (EIN), which is assigned to businesses and other entities for tax filing and reporting purposes.

Who Needs Form SS-4?

If you are filing for an EIN for your sole proprietorship tax ID, corporation, partnership, estate of deceased individual tax ID, trust, non-profit, or church, you will need to fill out Form SS-4. This form is required for any organization that needs an EIN and that is filing for the taxpayer identification number for the first time.

Why Do I Need an SS-4?

Form SS-4 needs to be filled out by any organization that requires an EIN. EINs are assigned by the IRS to identify entities for tax purposes. You must fill out Form SS-4 if you have never obtained an EIN for your organization and if:

  • Your organization pays wages to employees (one or more)
  • You need an EIN to use on any IRS return or statement, even if you don’t act as an employer
  • You are required to withhold taxes on income that is not wages or income paid to a non-resident alien
  • You are planning to file a Schedule C (Profit or Loss From Business), Schedule F (Profit or Loss From Farming), or Form 1040 (US Individual Income Tax Return), and the IRS requires you to file employment, excise, tobacco, alcohol, firearms, or Keogh plan returns.

You May Need to File an SS-4 if You Don’t Have Employees

Even if you don’t have any employees, you might need to file an SS-4 if you are forming any of the following entities:

  • Trust (except certain revocable, IRA, and grantor-owned trusts)
  • Estate
  • Corporation
  • Partnership
  • Real Estate Mortgage Investment Conduit (REMICs)
  • Non-profit organization
  • Personal service organization
  • Church-controlled organization

Filling out Form SS-4 can be confusing and time consuming. IRS EIN Tax ID Filing Service makes filing Form SS-4 easier, and we also offer the convenience of filing for your business organization.

Completing the SS-4 form can be the first step toward getting your business on the road to financial stability. When you have submitted your SS-4 form, you will be able to get an EIN. This number can be easily obtained by properly filling out your SS-4 the first time.

What Goes Onto the SS-4 Form?

The IRS SS-4 form must be completed when you need to get an EIN. You can easily submit an online application for the SS-4, or you can return a hard copy. Even if your business does not have employees, you will need to complete an SS-4 form.

Completing an SS-4 needs to be done if you have a trust, partnership, or real estate mortgage investment conduit. Filling out an SS-4 can be time-consuming, but completing this will go a long way toward helping your business. If you complete the SS-4 form successfully, you will be able to use your number immediately.

EIN Has Short and Long-Term Benefits

Knowing what an SS-4 form is will help you get an EIN for your business. The EIN is a number that’s assigned to businesses by the federal government for tax ID purposes. It can be used by businesses with any number of employees.

You will need an EIN to complete your taxes each year, and even to get money in the hands of your employees and shareholders. The EIN can be used by employers, corporations, and sole proprietorships. Once you have completed an EIN, you will need to have this number on hand for all filings. File for your Alaska tax ID, Alabama federal tax ID, or any other state, today.

The SS-4 is the perfect way to help achieve the dream of owning your own business. When this form is completed, you will be able to submit tax forms and even gain capital that will help your business run on a daily basis.

Select Your Entity Type to Apply for a Federal Tax ID Today