If I Am Waiting On My W-2 Form, Where Else Can I Find My Tax ID?

Back to FAQs

What Is Your W-2 Form?

If you don’t have your W-2 form yet and want to get started on your taxes, you may be feeling stressed out. Your W-2 form is where you will find plenty of crucial information, including your:

  • Annual wages
  • Withheld payroll taxes
  • State and federal income taxes withheld
  • Employer’s tax identification number

You’ll need all these details to fill out your tax returns and statements. But even if you don’t have your W-2 form yet, you may be able to find the information you need in other ways. Here’s how to obtain EIN from your employer apart from the W-2 form.

Check Your Records

You might be wondering where to find your tax ID apart from the W-2 form. Your first step should be to check any documents you have. Review any pay stubs or previous W-2s where you may be able to find your employer’s tax ID application.

Contact Your Employer

If you still can’t find the EIN apart from the W-2 form, reach out to your employer. Inquire with the payroll office about sending out your W-2 form or EIN number application. You may need to apply for a replacement W-2 form.

Notify the IRS and File Form 4852

Don’t worry if you still can’t find your tax ID anywhere apart from the W-2 form. This is a possibility if the payroll office is slow or you worked for no longer exists. Apart from that, The next step is to call the IRS. You’ll need to provide these details about yourself:

  • Name
  • Social Security Number
  • Phone number
  • Your employer’s name, address and phone number

Next, you’ll need to apply for Form 4852, which is a substitute for Form W-2. You’ll need to estimate your income and withheld taxes using past pay stubs. The IRS may take some extra time verifying your information so your refund may be late.

Dealing with tax ID and EINs can be stressful, but you can accomplish all these tasks with the right guidance. If you need to know how to apply for EIN or need assistance applying for sole proprietorship, everything can be easily completed online.


Select Your Entity Type to Apply for a Federal Tax ID Today