If I Change My Name, Do I Need A New EIN?

Back to FAQs


EIN is an abbreviation for Employer Identification Number. Like the name suggests, this number is used by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to identify legal entities for tax purposes. When a business acquires an EIN, the number shall be used in perpetuity by the IRS to identify this business—similar to the way the IRS uses Social Security Numbers (SSN) to identify people. We’ve had several clients ask us, “Do I need a new EIN if I change my name?” and we will explain why you do not need to change your EIN if you change your name below.

When Do You Need a New EIN? 

Even if the business changes its name, or you change your name personally, you will not be required to register for an EIN a second time. Once you register for an EIN, the IRS will use this number in association with your business as long as none of the following occurs:

  • Bankruptcy
  • The business becomes a different type of entity
  • The business is inherited
  • A corporation receives a new charter from the Secretary of State

A lot of changes can occur within a business before you’ll ever need to get a new EIN. This nine-digit identification number usually remains with a business as long as the business remains in operation, and it doesn’t become a different type of business entity.

Get an EIN Online 

The fastest and easiest way to get an Employer Identification Number (EIN) is to get an EIN online. When you register for an EIN online, you can avoid lengthy waiting periods. Another perk when you register for an EIN online is that you’ll get your new EIN within 24 hours. Other application methods can take up to two weeks to be completed.

Additionally, our online portal allows you to check an EIN status online anytime you need to. Plus, we keep your account safe and secure so you can access your EIN if you ever lose or misplace it.

The short answer to the question, “Do I need a new EIN if I change my name?” is, no. But be aware that some circumstances do warrant a new EIN, though a name change is not one of them.

Select Your Entity Type to Apply for a Federal Tax ID Today