How Do I Make A Change To My EIN After It Was Assigned?

Back to FAQs


An employer identification number, also known as an EIN or federal tax identification number, is a unique set of nine numbers that provide the IRS with a method of identifying your business as an operating entity within the United States of America. Company owners can use EINs to conduct activities that would otherwise need social security numbers.

When to Make Changes

You will need to change your EIN after the structure of your business or the ownership has changed. As a sole proprietor, you will need to obtain a new EIN if you are subject to bankruptcy, operate your company as a partnership, buy or receive an existing business that operates as a sole proprietorship, or are incorporated.

For corporations, you will need to change your EIN if you get a new charter from the secretary of the state, change to a sole proprietorship or partnership, are a subsidiary of the company utilizing the parent business’ employer identification number, or are a new corporation created after a statutory merger.

Change My EIN Easily

With an IRS EIN Tax ID, you can easily apply for an EIN or register for an EIN on our EIN online application form. We are experts in our field and make it secure and convenient for you to obtain an employer identification number at the drop of a hat. Log on to our site today to get your new EIN now!

Select Your Entity Type to Apply for a Federal Tax ID Today