Do I Need More Than One EIN If I’m Operating My Business in Multiple States?

Back to FAQs


An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is used by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to track the federal tax obligations of legal entities operating within a US territory. You do not need multiple EINs to conduct business across state lines. However, you will need to contact your state’s Revenue Department to ensure you pay the appropriate state taxes in the state you’ve claimed is the business’ physical address.

Do I Need Multiple EINs? 

Most small business owners will only need one EIN to conduct business; that being said, there are circumstances that would requires the same person to obtain a second EIN.

For example, if a business owner wants to open a second business, or in the case he owns multiple corporations or wishes to develop separate subsidiaries of a Limited Liability Company (LLC), this person would need to get multiple EINs.

All legal entities must have an EIN. Legal entities are those that may engage in contracts, agreements, incur and pay debts, all on behalf of the business, and with total legal responsibility applying to the business, and not the individual business owners.

How to Apply for EIN Number

There are several ways to obtain an EIN including by mail, over the phone, or by fax. However, these application processes can take up to two weeks to complete. A faster and easier way to get an EIN is to apply for an EIN online.

Our simplified forms are easy to complete and only take a few minutes of your time. Plus, we return results within 1-2 business days, and in some cases, in less than 24 hours.

You can also check your EIN number online anytime using your personal account information. If you ever lose or misplace your EIN number, you can recover the information on our convenient site.

Select Your Entity Type to Apply for a Federal Tax ID Today