Why Update My Address With the IRS?

Back to FAQs


Although many people like to correspond with the IRS as little as possible, there are good reasons to keep the federal tax agency updated with your current address. When you alert the IRS of an address change, you ensure you receive all important documents and letters pertaining to your business. If you are sent a notice of tax deficiency, or a demand for taxes, you will want the IRS to have your current address because they will not accept any excuses for not paying owed taxes (and you might accrue penalties on taxes due).

How to Update Your Address for an EIN

The IRS issues federal tax IDs and keeps track of all paperwork regarding these ID numbers. If you have filed for an EIN (employee identification number), you need to update your address with the IRS if you move, so that you receive all correspondence relating to your tax ID. Form 8822 is used to update an address with the IRS. Irs-ein-tax-id.com helps clients fill out, and submit, Form 8822.

Who Does a Change of Address Form Change Your Address With?

When you fill out Form 8822 to change your address with the IRS, you are updating your address with the Internal Revenue Service only. You will receive communication regarding your federal tax ID at your new address, but there is no database that transfers the update to other agencies (federal, state, or local).

How to Update Your Address with the IRS

There are several steps involved in updating your address with the IRS. First, you will need to fill out the Change of Address Form 8822. Irs-ein-tax-id.com helps clients do this. The form will need your signature, and in the case of a couple filing jointly, it requires both spouses’ signatures. The form is sent to the appropriate IRS office, based on the address indicated on your filing. Some IRS documents can take up to 60 days to process.

To help you through the process of changing your address with the IRS, irs-ein-tax-id.com offers quick and easy document preparation and filing services.


Select Your Entity Type to Apply for a Federal Tax ID Today