Do I need to change my tax ID if I move to another state but my business stays in the same state?

Back to FAQs

Relocating your business and moving states can be one of the best ways to grow your revenue. To make the process of moving your business easier while changing states, work with our dedicated professionals who have assisted a variety of individuals, partnerships, and corporations.

How to Update your EIN/Tax ID Application

The EIN/Tax ID online application is needed for your business when you are trying to get financing and establish a line of credit. You will also need an EIN/Tax ID to file your taxes each year even when you’re moving states. An EIN/Tax ID acts as a nine-digit number that is used by the IRS to identify your business.

When you want to check on your EIN status, there are several ways you can find this information. On any document created for your business, including a W-2, you will see this number. You can also contact the bank where you opened your account to get the EIN number.

What Goes Into the EIN/Tax ID Application Process

You do not need to have a tremendous amount of money, or even a high credit score, to complete the EIN/Tax ID application. For an EIN/Tax ID application, you just need to have a business in the United States or a US territory. You can apply for your business simply by having a Social Security Number.

The EIN application can be done quickly even when you change states. You are limited to one EIN per day. When you have completed the EIN/Tax ID application and are approved, you can start using this number immediately.

The EIN/Tax ID application process is simple, and when it comes time to move your business, you will be able to easily make updates. There are plenty of ways for you to track down this information. As a bonus, you will not have to worry about headaches when it is time to move.

Select Your Entity Type to Apply for a Federal Tax ID Today