How do I validate my tax ID number when I move?

Back to FAQs

If your business needs a change, relocation can be an outstanding way to recharge yourself and your employees. To make life easier, you will need to know how to update your EIN. Updating your EIN will save you time and hassle down the road. 

Where to go to Find Your EIN

When it comes time for your business to relocate, you have several options to verify an EIN. Checking your business’ tax records is the perfect way to start the process. Look for Box B on the W2, which should have the number. You can also find the number on any other tax document filed by your business.

The bank where you received funding, including credit, can be an excellent place to get your IRS EIN. They will have the number from when you opened your business. If necessary, you can also apply for a new EIN online.

How to Complete Your EIN Application

You will not need a lot of time to complete your EIN application. The application needs to be completed all at once, but do not worry about blocking too much time. A few minutes will be all you need to complete this simple application and often, you will receive approval immediately.

The person who is applying for the EIN only needs to have a business located within the United States or a US Territory. The applicant must have a valid taxpayer identification number, which can include a Social Security Number. You are limited to one EIN per day.

Your EIN application does not have to be complicated, and it can be even easier for you to update this number. Work with a reliable EIN assistance company that knows how to handle the needs of any sized business, and you will stay on the road to success.

Notifying the IRS of a Move

When you move or change addresses, you need to let the IRS know so that you receive tax documents or even a tax refund. To change the mailing or business address for your company, you will use Form 8822-B, Change of Address – Business. This form must be completed and returned to the IRS.

Points to Consider When Changing an Address

There are several points to keep in mind when changing the address associated with your tax ID:

  • Make sure you include any suite, room or apartment number for your new address.
  • If you are going to use a PO Box, enter the PO Box of your business’ street address only if you know that mail cannot be delivered directly to the street address.
  • Foreign addresses need to follow the relevant country’s practice when it comes to using a postal code. Don’t abbreviate a country’s name.
  • If a third party receives your mail (for instance an attorney or accountant), you should enter a ‘c/o’ before the name of the third party
  • It can take the IRS anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks to process a change of address. You must provide the correct mailing address or you might not receive any notices that require your immediate action or attention.

While changing your address for your tax ID may be the last thing you want to do during a busy or complex move, it’s essential you take the time to do it and do it accurately. Spending just a few minutes to properly fill out the business name change form will ensure all pertinent tax documents are sent to you. As a business owner, you will want to make sure you’re up-to-date on where you need to be regarding tax situations.

Select Your Entity Type to Apply for a Federal Tax ID Today